Monday 31 August 2015

The Oxted and Edenbridge Agricultural Show!



Happy bank holiday everyone!  I hope you are all tucked up in bed reading, catching up on the latest TV series, or just simply relaxing... You deserve it so enjoy!  I on the other hand have to work today (sad face), but I did however manage to have a wonderful day yesterday with the whole family and my fiancé Perry, as we all went to the Oxted and Edenbridge Agricultural Show! 



This show happens every year over the August bank holiday, and is fantastic for the whole family, as there is something for everyone!  For the children there are funfair rides and playgrounds, animal marquees and for the adults there are flowers and vegetable marquees, a food hall, shooting, archery, vintage cars and blacksmiths showing off their iron skills!  Also, there are different arenas that hold various shows from learning about foxhounds to watching equestrian competitions... There's so much going on! 



First of all, I checked out the flowers and vegetable marquee... There were so many beautiful creations I was in awe!  It was truly amazing to see all the hard work that had gone into each entry from gorgeous flower arrangements, to the gigantic home grown veg... The leeks and the onions were huge!  What really impressed me was right at the end of the hall, was a table of fruit and veg that had been pinned together to look like cartoon characters... My favourite was the tweety pie made out of watermelon... Incredible! 









My next stop was of course the food hall, because... well... I'm just mad about food!  There were so many colourful stands that sold everything from pies, to fine cheeses, chocolate fondue, cakes, meat, fish you name it!  I instantly craved something sweet and ended up buying a giant white chocolate cookie... It seriously was as big as my head!  After the cookie, I needed something that would quench my thirst, and so I purchased fresh lemonade, which was made on the spot.  It was so refreshing and really made me want to make it at home! 



We moved onto the next marquee which was all animal related, from pigs, to cows, to sheep, and even alpacas!  It was really touching to see all of the animals up close and to realise just how big some of them really are.  My favourite animal that I saw was the Highland cow, as they are long haired and have such great character to them... They're gorgeous! 




I then was given the chance to see the foxhounds in the arena, showing off their skills.  Farmers always count their foxhounds in pairs and so there were fifteen and a half couples, which meant that there were 31 dogs in total... I had never known this fact and thought it was very interesting!  After the presentation we then got the opportunity to see the dogs, which ranged from different ages.  I loved it when a puppy went right up to Perry and looked into his eyes lovingly... It was so cute! 



Sticking to the hunting theme, I then went gun shooting at a little stall that had 7 shots for £2.50!  I have never shot a gun before and so I was preparing for the worst!  I was given a card target that was placed 4 metres away from me, and I had to get as many metal bullets onto it as possible.  Now, with me and my long sighted vision, I thought that I was going to be hopeless, but it turns out that I'm not a bad shot!  I ended up having all seven of my bullets on the target and not only that, but two of them were centimetres away from the bullseye!  Get in! 



I then visited the local blacksmiths stall, which demonstrated how they create exquisite pieces of art out of iron.  It is rather amazing to still see blacksmiths around today, as it was heavily relied on in the old English times! 



Lastly, we spotted a whole section dedicated to vintage cars... Which were so chic!  I absolute love vintage cars, as not only do they show history compared with cars today, but they are so beautiful and one of a kind!  Also, I spotted lots of old Rolls Royce cars, which got me so excited for our wedding next year, as we have secured a vintage Rolls.... Eeeee!



Overall, we had such an amazing day, and weren't we lucky with the weather?  It could have utterly poured it down, but thankfully it decided not to!  So, tell me, what have you been doing this bank holiday weekend? 

M x
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© That Little Shoe. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig